Kinetic Squats, Beer and Babes Edition!
Seems like just a week ago it was 80 degrees outside,now Fall is upon us. The leaves are changing colors, the winds are blowing with a chill and the skies are eerily forecasting the weeks of cold to come. Unless of course your reading this from the sunny shores of the West Coast or Southern States where the weather is conducive to rigorous year round out door training.
In that case I say “……………” Just kidding ! I envy you but secretly want to beat you with a wet towel and throw sugar at you and tie you to a tree in the woods. Did I say that aloud?
Remember being a kid and super excited over a heavy snowfall to go out and just play for hours all bundled up in like 10 layers of clothes soaked in sweat underneath watching your breath in the air and snot freeze to your face without a care in the world. A child hood play day was the equivalent of a serious fat burning training and we didn’t even know it.
Take a moment and let that sink in!
What if instead of getting pissed off because the sky is grey and the wind is cold we enjoyed the moment like when we were kids. Laugh at the frozen snot and burning lungs knowing your getting one of the best workouts you can.
The moral of this story is that were designed to work under stress, were made to endure extreme conditions. Physically, we can do anything we convince ourselves we can. So what happened?
I often see people in the gym complaining about it being to cold or too hot or the machines are all being used etc. WTF has happened to the indomitable spirit of an athlete. If you throw in the towel during a workout because things don’t go your way then your never gonna reach that goal!
If its leg day and the racks are all full, go outside and push a damn car till your quads explode. Excuses are the calling card of the WEAK.
I challenge you to get out, put yourself in uncomfortable conditions and think to yourself how would the 10yr old YOU feel about it at that very moment? Be in the moment.
On that note, here is a fun and really challenging leg day that can be done indoors or outdoors which I prefer. I think you will enjoy. It does require some friends, hopefully really pretty ones or various objects to use for resistance but if your creative you can pretty much lift anything.
Our session included the Bandbell Custom Super Rhino Bar, Strap -N-Hook attachments , Water filled kegs , some chains and a few friends of the female type. We set up at a local track, wind blowing and leaves falling on a crisp cloud covered fall day. Fresh air helps the body function better.
While this may look ridiculous it was Kinetic leg day to the max and I’ve loaded just about anything I can on our bars and this one was by far the most challenging. Swinging weight, shaking weight , uneven weight all in one movement.
So lets get our Shaky Outdoor leg day on!
Walk or jog in place with some light stretching to get the heart and lungs started.
1) Strap up some kegs or weights, tires , rocks or whatever you have.
Walk about 25/50 feet and then stop and squat 5 reps.
2) Squats x 5 with just the weight.
3) Squats x 5 and walk with just weight.
1) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 110lbs ( Kegs )
Walk and Squat x 5 reps x 50 feet.
2) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 110lbs ( Kegs) plus 50 Pounds Chains.
Walk and Squat x 5 reps x 50 feet
3) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 110lbs (Kegs) plus 50 pounds Chain, ladies total weight including bar approx 440lbs. Walk 50 ft, Squat x 3 .
4) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 110lbs (Kegs) plus 50 pounds Chain, ladies total weight including bar approx 440lbs. Squat 10 Reps
5) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 110lbs (Kegs) plus 50 pounds Chain, ladies total weight including bar approx 440lbs. Walk 50 ft, Squat x 3
6) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 50 pounds Chain, and two lovely ladies, total weight including bar approx 330lbs. Front Squats x 3 ( Video)
7) Rhino or Emaxx bar loaded with 50 pounds Chain, and two lovely ladies, total weight including bar 330lbs. Squats X 5, then pause in the hole. ( Video)
8) Max distance walk with bar/weight only. (Video)
Our Might Mite Lindsay took 180 shaky pounds for a walk.
Stuff your face with your favorite warm snack or food and then proceed to drag yourself home and wait for what I have come to know as Delayed Onset Muscle Explosions from the insane contractions caused when using Bandbell Bars.
We don’t mess with those silly DOMS because while everyone else is sore from the linear bars were just watching our muscles grow and grow.
So get your beast on the grill and your cup filled with a nice slow burning fuel and relax knowing that you are a member of Bandbell Nation, or as I like to think of it as having a seat at the Adults table.
Rock on and Skal Fellow Meatheads.